Friday, September 14, 2012

The Trip Begins

Ok, so if you are a customer or friend who has had to listen to us talk about our upcoming plans, you know we were headed for Morocco, so you might want to know, we are HERE!

I started this entry earlier today and it sounded decently upbeat. I was interrupted by the need to greet a grandson getting off the bus from school, help with supper plans, etc. Ordinary things. Today, while our son-in-law went to his job at the U.S. Embassy here and, as I said, one grandson went to school, the rest of us even made a short car trip to the vegetable vendor and the butcher shop. Ordinary things.

But as the day finished up and the evening began, we listened to what Michael had to report and we watched the news, I'm not sure what to feel. I am in the home of a member of the diplomatic security service. Everyday procedures are in place for embassy families that make me feel that my daughter and her family are decently secure. Morocco did not have a regime change. The citizens of Morocco are not allowed to own guns. Things have been mostly stable for some time. So, this country is probably as good as it gets in Africa.

But, am I worried? Of course. Because this trip took so long - over 24 hours really, I am still a little confused about what time it is. In all honesty, I have to concentrate to get the day of the week straight. Now, as I watch the news, all of the unrest and violence that is occuring so much closer than if I were in Boerne, also seems unreal. Is is worrisome? Hell, yes. All of our plans for what we were going to do while here are going to have to be reconsidered. We will probably have to decide each day based on what is happening around us, as to what we will do.

So, I will try to post every day. We have to play "charge shuffle" with computers, IPAD's, etc so that might delay things a little. But please feel free to comment if you do check in. I did take pictures today when we were out, so I will post a few. They do seem to represent ORDINARY activities which is comforting.



Philip was out on the street taking pictures at the places we stopped.

Here's three little ladies out waiting for the bus and another on the way to join them. The ladies' clothes are amazingly different. No burkas, but many are fully covered in layers like these women. Others were in pants and shirts, totally western style. I didn't see any females in shorts or revealing shirts of any kind, however.

This was the vegetable and flower vendor where we shopped. I have more pictures that I will add at the next posting of the yummy food both here and at the butcher shop. Pictures are taking a long time to upload in this house. There are only certain rooms in which you can sit to get internet and still things can take a long while!

I am not downloading pictures of the grandkids, our daughter and son-in-law out of caution for the work our son-in-law does, but it is probably ok if I show you a picture of the real boss of the house.

Stella.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Judy, lovely photos. Enjoy the break & please keep blogging. The ladies dress like the Mainland Turks do here :)
    Have a good day, Inshallah
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stella looks great! Thanks for posting your adventures.

    ReplyDelete